Left Me Breathless for the Second Time

19 March 2023.

I never worried so much in my life. This day was the first day of selling of my favourite band's concert tickets, the Corrs. They have been my favourite since I was in high school. I've seen them before, though, but they have not been in the Philippines since then.

In 2000, they announced that the Corrs would be having a Valentine concert at the Araneta Coliseum. Unfortunately for me, it was sudden so I didn't manage to save up for it so I knew I was going to miss it. Come January, they announced that the concert would be postponed at a later date because Andrea, the lead singer, contracted an ear infection. Those who purchased tickets should hold on to their tickets or refund them. Some chose to hold on to them, some chose to refund them. When they did, it opened some more seats so they sold more tickets. I just had my 18th birthday and because we didn't have any means to have a grand debut party, I asked if I could instead see and hear the Corrs live, no matter how "far" the seat was. 30 September 2001 was the new date. It was a grand time despite me being sick with the flu (and yes, I persevered)!

A few weeks before my 40th, it was announced that they would be passing by the Philippines in October on their way to their scheduled Australian tour. It was a surprise announcement and I knew some Filipino fans bought tickets to the Australian concerts. It would be two concerts and at the same venue, now called Smart Araneta Coliseum. Ticket prices were sky high but I knew I had to. It was going to be my birthday gift to myself. I asked a friend if she could include me when she bought hers; she agreed to be paid in terms with me telling her that she should not give me the ticket until I am fully paid. I "laboured" for it. By May, I managed to pay her in full.

Waiting for months seemed like an eternity. The Corrs Philippines, who have known each other since message boards existed, was planning on what to do aside from us meeting. Our Facebook page admin reached out to the organiser, Pulp Live, if our group can organise something and if we could have a place at the Araneta. They agreed. One of our planned activities would be for fans to write messages on a book - Book Of Dreams - to be given to the band at the end of the concerts. We were to have a band but it fell out but it was also to our favour as it turned out to be rainy. Another was to have green lightsticks as the band sings Runaway. We called it #seaofgreen.

I watched on the second day, 22 October. 

Me, in an obligatory ballet pose, by the standee

Our group was stationed at the Green Gate entrance near the Pulp Help Desk. It was there where fans wrote messages for the band, where we met other fans, and met fans from Indonesia, as well. We stayed until the book was taken inside by Pulp to the band. 

Our "booth" beside the Pulp Help Desk at the Green Gate

My ticket, Upper Box A, was reserved seating so I got in just as the front act Germein, who was very good, was finishing their set. Then the concert started.

The crowd as the lights opened after front act, Germein, finished

I don't want to post a lot here as that night was still a blur of excitement. I managed to record so I still watch the videos. My videos were shaky as I was watching the stage the same time I was recording which made me wonder what the people behind me were thinking. I didn't manage to take a lot of pictures as I realised that the camera zooms only 3x in video as compared to 5x in still. I noticed, though, that they shuffled their setlist from their previous tours and included only one from a newer released album (Ellis Island! With an intro). But I had a magnificent and fantastic night!

The worries I had when selling of the tickets to the public evaporated into the ether. Despite the tickets' high prices, I managed to purchase one with the help of a WITCHie friend. It was worth it! Every moment was worth it. Every moment would be treasured. Waiting for 22 years for the Corrs to come back was worth every penny. Actually, it's priceless.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Kate Beckett - A fan’s analysis on why Kate Beckett wants some distance from husband, Richard Castle

Castle 623 For Better Or Worse Screencaps

Bullet Point: Castle 706 The Time of Our Lives