Laugh Hard. Run Fast. Be Kind.

This series of Doctor Who is plagued with whiners. Ever since I became a fan, with The Doctor’s Wife being my entry point, I’ve never heard so many complaints regarding the season or the actor playing The Doctor. It was always “I love Capaldi!” or “I love Matt!” I’ve only seen a handful of those this time.

Honestly, I really don’t know why if it’s because it’s a female, portrayed brilliantly by Jodie Whittaker, or it’s because it hits nerves. 

The show has been politically correct before or teach/preach - watch The Zygon Invasion/The Zygon Inversion and tell me that the confrontation between 12 and Zygon Clara didn’t preach. To be frank, the show is doing what Ghostbusters 2016 tried to do: be inclusive. Bad story aside, the movie never set out to ruin your childhoods. They made it so that those who feel small is given a chance, given hope. I could never forget the looks of the little girls, who danced at the red carpet at the premiere, dressed up as the ghost busters looking at Kristen Wiig: half starstruck and perhaps half thinking that they could be her one day.

To tell the truth, I’ve never felt so connected to the show until now. I can finally shop her costume, not just for cosplay but for practical clothing, without the salesgirls looking at me as if I was buying it for my boyfriend/husband/father or coming to a conclusion that I am a lesbian. Yeah, it still happens especially if you live where I am.

Analysing 13’s real personality is still quite a challenge in that she’s always happy, always positive (that is Jodie’s personality, too, I reckon). But she was sad when the gang asked her, in the first episode, about her family, about who she really is. She was sad when she dropped off the team back in Sheffield. People are looking for the angst, for her to get angry. But she does get angry - Karl when he pushed Tzim-Sha off the crane; when she hasn’t realised that the Thijarians were reformed assassins and were just protecting the dead; just last episode, she gave the cold shoulder to King James after he killed the Morax Queen. She controls her emotions and masking it with her childlike nature - I've never seen anyone get so excited in apple bobbing as much as this incarnation of The Doctor. You know why?

“Never be cruel, never be cowardly. Remember, hate is always foolish and love is always kind. Always try to be nice and never fail to be kind.
Those were the parting words of 12, for his next incarnation, and she lives by it. Also,

“When people need help, I never refuse.”
And yet she does, again and again. Because of those words from 12. Every episode she is tested. She wants and tries to fix things but in the end, for the sake of the timeline, of history, and fixed points, she doesn’t. She could’ve gotten off the bus but the incident with Rosa Parks wouldn’t have happened. You see how dejected she looked because she didn’t want to do it as much as Graham didn’t want to do it.


She could’ve told Prem and it would have saved him but Yaz wouldn’t be born. And you see how, when that gunshot was heard acknowledging that what was supposed to happen happened, she gave a jerk as if she was the one who was shot.


She tried to save Charlie from the robots and when they all teleported back to the lobby of Kerb!am, it was a resigned look and tone when she uttered their tagline, and threw her head back.

"If you want it, Kerblam it."


Things like these get tend to be overlooked by most, when she tries to save people but a price. It’s one aspect of her developing personality. What I see of her now is that she’s flawed. She’s not perfect, no one is, and that flaw makes her more human than any of us ever are. This is why I love the character of Kate Beckett in Castle. She’s flawed so that makes her human. Flaws are a part of us or, simply put, human nature.

As for the writing, I actually will accept any bad writing but has a finely executed story than a great script with a poorly executed arc (coughCastle8cough). Who could also forget Love & Monsters? For me, it was poor script, poor execution *insert cross-eyed laughing emoji* but in the episode’s defence, the Abzorbaloff came from children’s imagination and was expounded when their creation won.

If you haven’t seen Broadchurch, you need to see it now. That show was one hell of an emotional rollercoaster and I had three years of doing that. *insert lmao emoji* I have a feeling that their PR of 10 standalone stories is not that true. You’ll know if you watched the former show: you never knew who the killer was until the very last episode. That’s how Chris Chibnall writes. Ten standalone stories my arse. The Doctor lies, Chibnall lies, Matt Strevens lies, everybody on this show lies! *insert lmao emoji again* That said, there is something in the “villains” this season: they’re not too alien nor of machine. They’re more like humans which eerily reminds me of the Rebel Flesh. There are little things, too, in the previous episodes such as who is GFB (Rosa) and why there's always talk of light and dark (The Tsuranga Conundrum, The Witchfinders) I also read a couple of articles that the TARDIS is key. Very interesting reads! I mean, why would the TARDIS eject The Doctor and vanish? It has never done that to the previous ones. And why was it called The Ghost Monument? And why did she bring them to all those times, with The Doctor calling her stubborn, barring Arachnids in the UK and Demons of the Punjab?

I may be biased - as I’ve said I love Jodie long before Who - but this is not the Doctor Who fandom I was introduced to. There was a little “Get out, Moffat” here and there but never this. Never this. Twelve really had great words said: Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind. We must all remember that: be kind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Kate Beckett - A fan’s analysis on why Kate Beckett wants some distance from husband, Richard Castle

Castle 623 For Better Or Worse Screencaps

Bullet Point: Castle 706 The Time of Our Lives